Cerebral palsy is a particularly damaging and disabling birth injury. It results from damage to or abnormal development of the motion-controlling centers of the brain. Children can develop cerebral palsy during pregnancy, labor and delivery, or the first few years of their lives. People with cerebral palsy may receive some benefit by underground therapy, but they will never be cured of this condition.

Cerebral Palsy Risk Factors

There is no single definitive cause of brain injuries leading to cerebral palsy, although research has given rise to the following risk factors:

  • Medical disorders in the mother during pregnancy, such as seizures or infections
  • Abnormally small birth weight
  • Genetic conditions
  • Birth defects that affect the nervous system
  • Premature birth
  • Delivery complications
  • Brain damage suffered in early stages of infancy

While many of these risk factors are unavoidable, some of them do result from hospital or physician negligence. If you child has developed this devastating condition because a medical provider failed to deliver competent services, then you may be able to claim damages.

Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy

Children with cerebral palsy typically do not exhibit symptoms of their condition until several months into their lives. Typically, they will show the following signs:

  • Delayed development of skills that require muscle strength and coordination, such as crawling and walking
  • Early development of handedness
  • Poor or unusual muscle tone
  • Seizures and abnormal movements
  • Speech, swallowing, and dental problems
  • Hearing or vision loss
  • Difficulty controlling bowel and bladder movements

If the child receives treatment and therapy for these conditions, he or she will likely experience fewer disabilities. There is, however, no known cure for cerebral palsy.

Contact Us

If your child has developed cerebral palsy as a result of medical negligence, then you may have the right to claim compensation. TheĀ New York City personal injury lawyers of Orlow, Orlow & Orlow, P.C. can help you explore your legal options.