It is normal to feel anxious about placing an elderly loved one in the care of a nursing home. No matter how thoroughly you check a home’s credentials, something can always go wrong. Many people with loved ones who are in residential care want to know about nursing home abuse warning signs they should look out for while visiting.
Of course, these signs or lack thereof cannot definitely tell you if a senior citizen is being mistreated. If you have any doubts, contact your local police department, or call Protective Services for Adults at 1-800-342-3009.
Top Nursing Home Abuse Warning Signs:
- Sudden changes in behavior, such as becoming fearful, withdrawn, or depressed
- Nursing home staff who deny visitors, or to stop you from spending time alone with your loved one
- Dirty, overcrowded and/or otherwise unsafe living conditions
- Bedsores or other injuries (bruises, sprains, scratches) that staff cannot explain
- Sudden weight loss or persistent dry skin, which can be signs of malnutrition
If a Loved One has been Abused
If an investigation has shown that your loved one did experience nursing home abuse or neglect, you may be wondering what the next step is. Even if the people responsible are convicted in a criminal court, this may not help you or your family with the practical matters you now face. For example, can you afford to place your elderly relative in a better home?
Filing a civil claim against your loved one’s abusers may help you win compensation that can make this difficult time a little easier on your family. You could be able to win damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses, and lost wages if you missed work to care for your relative. Contact our New York City nursing home abuse lawyers today to find out more.
The Orlow Firm are experienced in handling cases of all types of nursing home abuse throughout NYC. Contact us today for a free consultation.